Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We recently adopted her 3 weeks ago, she's 7 months. She was…

Customer Question
We recently adopted her...

We recently adopted her 3 weeks ago, she's 7 months. She was fine in the beginning, just had an upper respiratory infection where she was given an antibiotic. Almost suddenly, she has no balance, falls when she jumps down, no appetite, constipated, and a prominent third eyelid

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

We've been to the vet once and was told she was okay, but this started almost right after we got home from the vet. And sorry, she's a cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, a cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Thank you, ***** ***** is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ava?

She's small for her age, 3.92 pounds, but otherwise had been eating, drinking and using the bathroom regularly before this happened.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/7/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Kelly Jones, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, my name is***** am so sorry that Ava isn't feeling well. Did this happen right after she came home from the veterinarian after getting that antibiotic? Or was the upper respiratory illness resolved before this happened?

Hi, yes this happened about a week and a half after she finished the antibiotic. And the symptoms were hardly there before the vet visit.

I am concerned that she could have something more going on and should have some bloodwork completed. At the very least, she seems that she is dehydrated since she is constipated. What was the antibiotic called?

I am concerned that she could possibly have a disease called feline infectious peritonitis. It is called FIP for short. It affects young cats and can cause a variety of symptoms.

She did have blood work, and her liver levels were I believe elevated, but the vet didn’t seem too concerned. Also, her kidney levels were normal.
The vet did bring up FIP, which I know there is no cure for.
I requested a phone call on accident.
It’s also my understanding that there’s no cure for this

No worries, I'll ignore the phone call request =)

For FIP, there is no cure yet, they are working on a cure now actually but it a heartbreaking disease.

The vet also told us it’s extremely difficult to diagnose, so what would you suggest my next step should be?
Is an inner ear infection a possibility? I’m not sure if I mentioned in my original post that she has lung worm and was dewormed just today.

It is difficult to definitely diagnose but if you do a blood chemistry, I would look at the globulin and albumin ratio and if it is high enough, you have a very very high suspicion.

Let me explain FIP as well, it is a strange virus. Basically every cat is infected with a coronavirus but in certain cats, the virus mutates in the individual cat an turns into FIP. So FIP in itself is not contagious.

An inner ear infection is a possibility but they usually have a head tilt and they circling to one side.

She does tilt her head to the right when eating, and her gait is primarily to leaning to the right. In her ears I did see a kind of yellow discharge as well.

Hmm, I would go back to your veterinarian and have them look down the ears in order to see the tympanic membrane. If that appears abnormal then she might have an inner ear infection which I hope is the case.

What antibiotic was your kitty on for the upper respiratory disease?

I unfortunately can’t remember the name, but it was yellow in color and a liquid oral antibiotic

Hmm the yellow in color is throwing me off, some common names are*****

I can’t remember and won’t be home for a few hours. It was for eye discharge if that helps, one of her litter mates had a sinus infection as well

No worries - when you get home, you can send me a photo of it. But basically, I would bring her back to the veterinarian since there is something new and different going on. She would at least need to continue on oral antibiotics since topicals do not reach the inner ear.

Hi, I haven't heard back from you, how is your kitty doing?

Hi, we actually just got back from our vet where she confirmed the suspicions of FIP. We were given a steroid for her in order to ease her symptoms in hopes of giving her a comfortable few last days or weeks. Thank you for your time, and you’re right, it’s an extremely devastating and heartbreaking disease.

Oh no =( What was the albumin and globulin ratio? I am so sorry that is seeming to be the case. I hate hate hate FIP. I am so sorry.

Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Cat Veterinarian