Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

His ear tips are drooping. I am thinking he is dehydrated.

Customer Question
His ear tips are...

His ear tips are drooping. I am thinking he is dehydrated. What can I do now before I can get him to the vet. He is a grey Tabby male about 3 years old, He is an outdoor/garage cat and is still active and playful and eating well. We see him drink from his water bowl. We noticed the one ear about a week ago and thought he may have gotten into a tussle and today we noticed the other one drooping. It has been very cold here in Kansas but he still comes and goes as he pleases thru the cat door.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the tabby's name?

Barney

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barney?

Well in reading the online posts the only other thing is that his favorite place to sleep is in a large cat box (it's clean just an extra) that we have on top of the cabinets in our garage. He used to fit in there but maybe it is too small now.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/6/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Kelly Jones, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, my name is***** am a veterinarian and would love to help you.

First off, are the ears puffy at all? Are they red? Will he let you touch them. I am concerned that he might have developed an ear hematoma which can happen after they get into fight.

Is he still eating? You could get him to drink more water by feeding him canned cat food as well. You can even add water to it.

Please also attach a photo if you are able, it would help me immensely.

I am not sure why the ears are falling over like that but if he is eating and drinking, I think he is doing just fine. It might just be a strange quirk about him or due to trauma from fighting with other cats. He is cute!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok we will quit worrying and just keep an eye on him. He is a good cat and brings us much joy. Thanks for your time. Just so we know what are some other signs of dehydration in case we notice anything.
Thanks
Anne
He would have very dry stool and his eyes could appear sunken in. If you are ever worried, mix some water into the wet food.I’m so glad he brings you so much happiness :)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

If you are able to leave a rating, that would help me immensely and ensure I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Cat Veterinarian