Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hope you're well. Just found you online and wonder if you…

Customer Question
Hello. Hope you're well...

Hello. Hope you're well. Just found you online and wonder if you can advise? My cat had a tiny mouse last night. Usually the next day I'll find it and dispose of it but today there wasn't one. My cat now has an upset stomach and going to the toilet. His eyes seem a little dim too. He's gone outside and doesn't seem himself. Wondering if he's eaten the mouse. Should we be concerned or will it pass? X

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if Now will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Now?

No. Nothing else

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/6/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your cat. Eating a small mouse should pass; cats eat mice all the time. Normally eating a mouse should not make her sick. Is she vomiting, or having any diarrhea?

Will she eat her regular food?

he's eaten his food but having sudden diarrhoea and leaving quite a smell. He's gone back out and I'll shout him in soon and see if he's improved. Okay. Feel better knowing that cats eat mice all the time, usually he just kills them but I'm wondering if this one was eaten. Is it normal for a mouse to make them a bit sick or upset their tummy?

Cats evolved eating mice, so they usually do not have a problem with them. If he is not used to eating them, it is possible for him to have diarrhea.

Good he is eating. It is possible to get parasites like roundworms from mice, so if the diarrhea persists you might take a stool sample to be checked microscopically for parasites.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

I have not heard from you; how is your cat?

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if you have any other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?