Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has diarrhea, a little consistentcy in each stool but…

He has diarrhea, a...

He has diarrhea, a little consistentcy in each stool but surrounded by watery diarrhea. He is 15 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Harley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

He only uses the litter box to poop about half the time and always chooses mounded blankets or clothes when he goes outside of litter box. He is currently eating nine lives soft food and doesn't like dry

1/6/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

What color is the stool? Any blood?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Nothing weird eaten, stomach is firm but doesn't seem to cause pain. Gums are pink and moist.
Symptoms a couple weeks.
Stool is tanish yellow or like Dijon mustard color.. no blood

Hello again,

First, with Harley being so young, we do need to be proactive here as kittens are high risk of dehydration, weight loss, lethargy, and stunting with diarrhea. With regards ***** ***** our main suspects here would be a chronic bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or a dietary sensitivity.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. To start, you can try an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or ideally for him since its more balanced we could use an OTC easy to digest diet like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, since Harley's stools are so watery, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies (of course avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol or salicylic acid/aspirin containing products as those aren't cat friendly). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, if he has not been wormed in the past month, we'd want to do that now. Ideally we'd want to use a good broad spectrum option and Panacur/Fenbendazole would be ideal here since it will cover for worms but also some protozoa. Most vets and larger pet stores (possibly amazon) carry it and we'd want to make sure to check his weight before administration to ensure a proper dose is given.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him and test a stool sample to help narrow down these suspects for us. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics, anti-protozoals, +/- fluids to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

What are panacur dosing recommendations or chart? I can get it at the feed store

Hello again,

It should be listed on the bottle or the datasheet with the Panacur but otherwise we tend to use 50 mg Fenbendazole per kg body weight daily for 3 days.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.