Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We have an older rescue cat,age unknown(no teeth) who in…

Customer Question
Hi we have an...

Hi we have an older rescue cat,age unknown(no teeth) who in last couple of weeks has started eating small amounts of cat litter from her tray.We've had her 4 years 'n never seen this behaviour before. She's had digestive problems for last 2 yrs 'n is on Hill's Age defying food (over 11 yrs).Drinks a lot(no teeth to crush dry food) but everything else works fine.Has been tested for feline,leukemia 'n kidney disease(negative) as she was slowly losing weight.All tests done for other conditions that might cause her to lose weight 'n drink excessive water were negative. Happy cat,sleeps 'n plays at times,but not happy she's suddenly eating litter!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Millie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie?

No she's a short-haired domestic,not any special breed.When we got her from the rescue, the vet felt she was at least 10 yrs old. Had been rescued from a farm where she'd been in kitten all her life til rescued(hence no teeth!) Otherwise, she's appearing fine

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/6/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Do you happen to know if your vet tested her thyroid the last time she had blood checked? The one condition we see cats eating strange things is hyperthyroidism, which is a condition where they produce more thyroid hormone than normal. It can also cause them to have other issues as well and can in some cases make them have digestive issues and want to drink more as well. If her thyroid hasn't been tested in the best few months (remember they age a lot faster than we do) then I would recommend taking her in to have that tested.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian