Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have 2 kittens. They have both been sneezing way more than…

Customer Question
I have 2 kittens...

I have 2 kittens. They have both been sneezing way more than normal for the past couple days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

Luna and Liliana

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?

I adopted Liliana about 3 weeks ago... Luna wasn’t sneezing before her.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/6/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is there any discharge from the nose or eyes? If so, please describe it.

Is there any swelling or redness associated with the eyes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, there’s no discharge from eyes. But noses are a little wet... no swelling or redness around eyes.

Thanks for the information. There is a very good chance that they picked up an upper respiratory infection. Herpes infections are extremely common and very contagious in cats and usually produce nasal and eye issues. It is one of the things we vaccinate for, so hopefully symptoms are very mild to non-existent if the virus is contracted. If you have sneezing in multiple cats, that has to be the first thought. As long as they are eating well, drinking well, have no nasal or ocular discharge and seem to be acting normal otherwise; there probably isn't much I would do except monitor them. It may help to get them on an L-lysine supplement twice daily (250 mg twice daily for small kittens or 500 mg twice daily for kittens 6 months or older). You can find it OTC at any human pharmacy, but your vet probably has a formulation more palatable for cats. It can help to keep the virus under control. I cannot rule out an allergy issue, but that would be less likely with both kittens being infected, unless there is some type of mold or something else growing in the house. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Luna and Liliana area doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian