Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat's anus is dialated. The poop will not come out. Momo,

Customer Question
Hi my cat's anus...

Hi my cat's anus is dialated. The poop will not come out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Momo, 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Momo?

He's big. about 15 lbs.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/5/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Sara. Has Momo ever had any issues with constipation? When was the last time Momo urinated that you know of. When cats have trouble urinating, it can look like they are constipated and pushing to poop, but really are straining to pee.

Momo has urinated recently and has been drinking a lot of water. He is taking frequent unsuccessful trips to the litter box

Are you sure he has urinated a normal amount today? Sorry I keep going back to this but constipated cats don't usually go back and forth to the box. Can you feel his belly with your hands and see if there is anything round and firm in there. You will have to feel deeply up between his hind legs.

could you feel anything?

he has peed a normal amount today. He vomited 3 times yesterday. And no, he has not really had issues with constipation before.

Alright, I just wanted to make sure because that is an emergency. How about for tonight we do some Miralax and either a baby aspirin or if you have any prednisone at home from anything else, we could do that. What do you have or can you get to a pharmacy? I think he'll have to get to see his vet tomorrow, but this should help to calm things down for tonight.

Ok that works, thank you. We gave him some laxatone so hopefully that will work.

Miralax will work better. You can give him 1/2 teaspoon for tonight and the baby aspirin, he can have 1/4 tablet.

Let me know if you need anything else, have a good night.