Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is about 2 yrs old. He's an indoor/outdoor cat. Well…

Customer Question
My cat is about...

My cat is about 2 yrs old. He's an indoor/outdoor cat. Well he came home the other nite an it appeared as thou he was favoring his right hind leg. But today it is very swollen. He is eating & drinking. And he does walk on it but very carefully. I just wanted to give him something for the pain. That he obviously having.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did your cat have a fall?

I don't know what happened.

Veterinarian's Assistant: It might be a fracture. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Flip

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Flip?

He does walk on it. Im thinking that a coyote might have tried to get him. But i really don't have any idea.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/5/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

This definitely could be a broken bone or a deep infection from a bite or sting from something.

With cats, we are really limited on what we can give them for pain because every anti-inflammatory over the counter is extremely toxic to them and leads to kidney failure and death or gastric ulceration and bleeding.

Do you have a regular veterinarian who can see him so we can get medications for him that will help with pain and be safe for Flip to take?

If he is calm about it you can try icing it for 7 minutes 3 times a day, but if this is an infection or fracture he needs medical attention and while the ice can help with inflammation ultimately he will still need to see a veterinarian.

I would also recommend confining him to indoor only for the time being.

I hope this helps guide you on how to proceed and I wish Flip a speedy recovery and hopefully, he did not break a bone.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.