Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Its actually a feral cat that lives outside my house and…

Customer Question
Its actually a feral...

Its actually a feral cat that lives outside my house and have been for 2 years. He has a very bad cold and i cant catch him to take him to the vet so i heard that fishmox may help. Somwthing is better than nothing I suppose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

I've taken numerous cats to shelters and they have been adopted. I've also took in a feral and got a few ferals shots, fixed and released them back out. He's not as friendly as the others were.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

He came to eat and i noticed he seems to have a bad cold. I havent seen any other signs but hes eating and he goes in his house that i mad him. This was 2 days ago but he swems to be getting alil better. Maybe its wishful thinking but i just wanna get some antibiotics in his system atleast.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

I call him socks. Lol

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Socks?

I don't think so. Not at this moment. I just wanted to know how much fishmox to give him.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Can you still get fishmox online? I tried to find it last week and could not.

The normal dose of amoxicillin for a cat is 50 mg every 12 hours for at least a week.

To help with the sneezing, you can give him 1/2 of a 25 mg benadryl tablet or 4 mls of the liquid every 12 hours.

Or, another antihistmaine you can try is 1/4 of a 10 mg Zyrtec tablet every 24 hours.

Where I live, you can rent a human trap from animal control for a $30 deposit. When you bring the trap back you get the deposit back. Not sure if your animal control has something like that. If needed, that would be a way to get him to a vet. You put some canned food or tuna in the trap and when the cat enters the door closes behind the cat.

Did all I wrote make sense? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

If you are all set, please click on the stars at the top of the screen, to rate my answer, so the website knows I have responded to your question. That is how I get credit for my time. Many Thanks : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby