Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is acting very confused and walking around in a

Customer Question
My cat is acting...

My cat is acting very confused and walking around in a stupor. She is also staining to go to the bathroom but nothing is coming out. She is about 12 years old, don't know exact age as she is a rescue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did your cat have a fall?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Jersey Girl

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jersey?

She has lost a little weight in the past month

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/5/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question right now and will post back, shortly.

My apologies that one of my colleagues did not answer your question earlier. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry that Jersey Girl is not acting herself and seems constipated.

When a cat her age, seems confused and 'out of it,' this could be due to a stroke or dementia (feline cognitive dysfunction syndrome-CDS). Yes, cats can develop dementia, like humans develop Alzheimer's. Here is more information for you to read:

https://www.vetinfo.com/feline-dementia.html

---------

Weight loss is also common in senior cats, and sometimes it's just due to aging, but sometimes it can be related to certain medical conditions, like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney disease.

If she's having trouble defecating, she may have a big hairball mixed with hard, dry stool, that won't move through and out of her body. You can try giving her 1-2 oz. of whole milk, as most cats are lactose intolerant, and this may help her move her bowels within a short period of time. You can also encourage her to drink water and add water, canned tuna juice or clam juice to her wet food. You can mix 1 TBS. of plain, canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to her wet food, twice a day (every 12 hours) or get some plain, jarred baby food squash or sweet potato and feed that to her (about 1/3 of a jar, 3 times a day. Don't try all of these things together, but try the milk first.

Sometimes, the stool is so impacted, it must be taken care of by the vet. It is suggested that you bring her in to be evaluated in person, in any case, considering her other symptoms, so I hope you're able to do that. In this way, you'll receive a diagnosis and treatment, if needed.

I hope all will be well with Jersey Girl and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist