Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was probably over-anesthetized when getting a teeth…

Customer Question
My cat was probably...

My cat was probably over-anesthetized when getting a teeth cleaning. She has not been herself since the Dec. 22 trip to the vet. She is lethargic, and having problems with bowel movement. Any suggestions about actions to take?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Princess snowflake 2yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Princess?

2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?

She was nice and frisky, and that has stopped.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/5/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am really sorry to hear about Princess snowflake. I'm working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
there are many reasons why a cat will be lethargic. Certainly if she had a dental cleaning in December and things have not been the same since then we have to factor that in as a possibility however I will say that most pets recover very well from anesthesia especially at such a young age. The first thing that I would be concerned about at this point would be checking blood work to make sure that her liver and kidney values are okay and that they haven't changed at all since her dental cleaning. That being said I don't know if she had an initial blood work prior to Anesthesia for some young pets it's not required. I don't know how comfortable you feel about going back to your veterinarian and I'm discussing these problems with him or her. I think it would be valuable to get a follow-up exam and have some blood work done to make sure that there's not a bigger problem going on. I know that might be frustrating because that involves more money however we have to make sure that her organ values are normal. As far as the bowel movement is concerned, if she is having a difficult time passing stool and easy solution is implementing a fourth of a teaspoon of Miralax twice daily. It is a human supplement that can help with constipation issues and cats. You can also try to add more water to her diet or offer moist food if her digestive system can tolerate it. Often times people feel that their cat is constipated when really they're not eating very much and so they're not passing stool. So just be careful to try to decipher between the two.
I will say this is a little bit of a tough one to manage over the internet because in my opinion she needs an exam and we have to determine what her blood work status is. That is the first place to start. In the meantime it would just be providing supportive Care at home ensuring that she's drinking enough water, eating well and passing stool. I hope that helps give you a little Direction. Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I am happy to help you. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5-star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so please keep me posted on how she is doing. Sincerely ***** *****
Any questions?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian