Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have a 9 year old tabby. He is usually kind of lazy but…

Customer Question
We have a 9...

We have a 9 year old tabby. He is usually kind of lazy but has a good appetite. For the last couple of weeks, I have noticed he is not eating much of his dry food and much of it ends up on the floor around his dish. He drinks water and will eat some of his wet food but he is definitely off. He seems listless and somewhat sad.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the tabby. What is the tabby's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

Not really, he is the only pet in the home and he never goes outside due to not having front claws. okay

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
it crossed my mind that maybe it is his teeth? He still eats most of his wet food so I thought maybe the dry food is too difficult or makes it painful to chew....
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. Very commonly when we see cats eating and drinking softer items well but avoiding harder foods there's a strong indication of potential for periodontal disease to be present. It would also be wise to go forward with having bloodwork performed at his age as reduction in food volume can cause a condition known as Fatty Liver Disease (aka Hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure if not addressed. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217 I would schedule some diagnostics at this time. Bloodwork to look at the liver values would be wise, but also to determine on the blood work if there are any additional concerns which might have originally been the cause of reduction in eating. We can see medical concerns like liver disease, pancreatitis, kidney disease, bladder infections, periodontal disease, etc. all contribute to changes in eating, regardless of the age of the cat.

At home, you can also offer KMR and pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. This may help to keep his caloric intake up whilst waiting for a veterinary appointment with your vet. The sooner he can be seen the better.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse