Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She breathes loudly while resting, which is what she does…

Customer Question
She breathes loudly while...

She breathes loudly while resting, which is what she does most of the time.I'm afraid she's not able to get enough oxygen for energy. What should I be feeding my cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

She is fat and breathes loudly like she is congested.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Gidget 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gidget?

She drinks a lot of water and wants to eat most of the time.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/5/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

When was bloodwork last performed on Gidget?

In regards ***** ***** question of what she should be fed, do you have any medical concerns to address such as being too thin? obese? history of conditions like pancreatitis?

It's more of hearing Gidget's breathing than seeing anything. Blood work last done in July 2017. She is obese. I have not taken in poop to see if she has tapeworms. Could that be the root of her loud breathing & obesity?

Can you share a video of the sound?

Tapeworms are typically not the root of loud breathing. We'd be more concerned about a respiratory disorder.

Were any conditions found on the bloodwork that your vet brought to your attention?

No, I don't know how to share a video. No conditions were found on Gidget's blood work. As far as her weight, she was 17 lbs. but bigger now. DVM said to feed her less cereal and more canned pate'. She does not like to be picked up, seems to obstruct her breathing, like a squeaking sound. Her right side is more sensitive to touch/combing. {Does deal with fleas.}

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

I will be signing off shorty and will check back in in the morning to see if the video has posted.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian