Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male outside cat, feral, must have fought with another.

Customer Question
My male outside cat...

My male outside cat, feral , must have fought with another tom. He's limping. It looks like he might be hurt at the tail bone. I want to give him liquid aspirin or my tramadol. He weighs maybe 10 pds. Help please.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?

Not sure. He goes off at night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Little man, 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Little man

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No. He's a sweet cat. My husband picks him up but not since his injury.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/4/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I might be of some help.

Best recommendation for this situation is to seek assessment in person with your local veterinarian. Given an injury and a history of fighting in a feral male cat, I'd be concerned for a cat bite - these often abscess and sometimes need surgery to heal well. Because of this concern, it might be warranted to give an antibiotic at this time to prevent an abscess from developing. If one is already present, surgical treatment should be discussed.

That being said, I would avoid the aspirin - this is not routinely recommended to be administered to cats or dogs except rare circumstances, due to much safer and more effective anti-inflammatory drugs being available for these species.

Tramadol may be administered safely, but he won't likely enjoy the taste of it. For a 10lb cat I'd dose tablets to be given as 1/4 of a 50mg tablet by mouth every 8 hours. If you're going to try that I'd suggest trying to hide it in something to get it into him - once he tastes it he will likely fight you trying to give it to him. Again, best recommendation would be to seek care for better alternatives for pain relief.

Let me know if you have any followup questions, write me back and I'll respond as soon as I am able.

Otherwise, please kindly rate using the stars so that I receive credit for helping with your question today, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Thank you for your advice.

You are very welcome. Don't hesitate to write back if you have further questions, and please make sure to rate using the stars, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peck