Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a longhaired lions head sometimes fur gets in his…

Customer Question
I have a longhaired...

I have a longhaired lions head sometimes fur gets in his eye. We have to keep his fur around his eye trimmed or he gets discharged. This time the discharge hasn't gone away we have treated it with neo-poly-dex and it doesnt seem any better is there a better antibiotic. It is a milky discharge not a green one but it is thick

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the lion's name and age?

Mufassa and he is 4

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/4/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

The first thing to do is stop using the NPDex, for 2 reasons. If there is any infection on the cornea, the dexamethasone ( which is a steroid ), could make things worse by suppressing the natural immunity in the eye. Second, some cats do not do well with this medication & have suffered a fatal anaphylactic reaction within 4 hours of use in the eye. Most veterinarians will not go near

to a cats eye with this anymore.

So, what can I recommend? The best is to see your veterinarian to make sure Mufassa does not have a scratch or irritation on the cornea. This requires staining the cornea with fluorescein. The second issue is that he has developed a condition called dry eye, where an insufficient amount of tears are being produced. Often we will see increased mucous production in the eye from this. Medication can greatly help this situation.

I should add that I assume we are talking about cats, since that is how you posted the question. But I realize there are lionheaded rabbits, too. So I apologize if the species is wrong. All the other info is correct, except that rabbits do not suffer an anaphylactic reaction to these drops.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, especially if you might have any other eye medications available to you.

Thank you.

If we take away the dex and put him on polytrin would that be a better choice I work for an I doctor and will have him again him.

Yes, this would be preferable to the steroids at this time. But please consider having the eye looked at if the eye does not seem to be doing any better in a few days, or the discharge worsens, or anything else just does not look right.

If anything else comes up, you can continue to contact me here.

Thank you.