Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Can dogs eat cat food. My dogs like cat food in the can. No…

Customer Question
Can dogs eat cat...

Can dogs eat cat food

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

My dogs like cat food in the can

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

No I like to be sure can catfood don't hurt my dogs

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

My dogs love cat food too. The reason why is it is all protein.

Dog food is veggies and meat as dogs should eat both.

Cats just need to eat meat.

So it does not hurt your dogs to eat a spoonful or two of the cat food. I would not feed them just cat food because the high protein is hard on the kidneys. The kidneys have to filter out all that protein.

If the cat food helps them eat, you can put a layer of it on top of the dog food or mix a few spoonfuls in with their dogs food. But I would not let them eat just cat food as that is not nutritionally balanced for dogs.

Does that make sense to you?