Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is on Doxy! I took him to the emergency vet as he…

Customer Question
My cat is on...

My cat is on Doxy! I took him to the emergency vet as he does not have a primary vet established yet. Before I took him in, he had goopies gluing his eyes closed. He’s been on Doxy for almost a week. They said he had borderline pneumonia, but didn’t want to call it that yet. His eyes are now open, but watery. I thought he was eating & using his litter normal, but I just carried him to bed as he does not really move throughout the day and I have a new kitten that torments. And as I was carrying him, poop balls basically just rolled onto my bed. What’s going on with him? Minimal activity except early morning unless he’s running away from the other kitten, he looks like he’s “molting” like a rabbit, barely eating and using litter!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the pneumonia. What is the kitten's name?

Klaus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Klaus?

I received a later call from the emergency vet saying there were signs of an enlarged heart, but they weren’t quite positive on whether or not he had a heart murmur

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Did the ER vet run bloodwork on Klaus?

How long has it been since he was eating normally?

No just took an X-ray to look at his lungs
Just a few days with not eating normal. Actually, since he started his antibiotic

First things first, Klaus needs to be separated from the kitten. His rambunctious nature is likely only going to add to the stress that Klaus is suffering. Klaus can be placed in a bathroom, medium size dog kennel or similar setup where he can recover without the kitten's visitation.

Here are my concerns: When cats begin not eating their liver suffers the effects. This can result in a condition known as Fatty Liver Disease (aka Hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure if not addressed. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217 I would schedule some diagnostics at this time. Bloodwork to look at the liver values would be wise, but also to determine on the blood work if there are any additional concerns which might have originally been the cause of not eating. We can see medical concerns like liver disease, pancreatitis, kidney disease, bladder infections, periodontal disease, etc. all contribute to not eating in any age of cat.

Additionally, doxycycline is one of the antibiotics that is prone to causing a GI upset in cats. So, while it may be effective at treating the suspect URI, it may be worsening his desire to avoid eating. I do think a recheck examination would be wise, either at a daytime practice that can see him today or by the ER vet that originally oversaw his care. They may wish to switch antibiotics and start anti-nausea medications like cerenia and famotidine, while also starting appetite stimulants like cyproheptidine. It's imperative that he begin eating soon, if you elect to keep him at home. You can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.] I would try syringe feeding KMR and pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. A few mLs every few hours should help to keep his caloric intake up and his appetite should improve. If it does not, he absolutely must see a veterinarian for diagnostics and treatment.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?