Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat had teeth removed yesterday and they bandaged her arm…

Customer Question
My cat had teeth...

My cat had teeth removed yesterday and they bandaged her arm where they gave her the IV. They did not instruct me when to take it off, so I took it off this morning and that paw is swollen. I work the rest of the day and all day tomorrow so I was hoping the swelling would just go down on its own

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Penny, 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?

She has not eaten since she got home yesterday at 5 pm, she seems groggy from the pain medicine and is also on antibiotics.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/3/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. This sort of thing can happen. At my ER, when cases go home that just had an IV catheter removed, there is a bandage on that spot that the owners are supposed to be told to take it off in about 15 to 20 minutes. Every once in a great while during the discharge instructions, this is missed and the bandage can be left on for a longer period of time. The paw being swollen is a very common side effect from this. IT should go back down over the next few hours with that bandage being off. There shouldn't be any long term issues from this. There really isn't anything you need to do now for it. As far as her appetite not being great, you can tempt her with some warmed chicken or turkey baby food or some wet food that is warmed. She may have some oral discomfort that is making her not want to eat.