Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He's approximately 4 months old and he started having

Customer Question
Hi, he's approximately 4...

Hi, he's approximately 4 months old and he started having diarrhea a couple of days ago. He doesn't seem to have fever and he's still eating, drinking and playing. Could the water that is softened by a water softener cause diarrhea?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Cutie Pie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/3/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- Has he been dewormed?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no blood, I dewormed him a last week and I've not noticed any other systems.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i prefer to type.

Please disregard the phone call request this is sent by the website automatically, not me. Chat is fine.

How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i'd say 5-10 pounds

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you. :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i haven't changed his food. The past few days I've been filling his water bowl up from the bathroom tap instead of from the kitchen. The kitchen doesn't have the softener water but the bathroom does. So, that's why I'm wondering if that could've caused the diarrhea.

Friend, it is not likely for the soften water to cause diarrhea. Other possible causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, infections, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You see, stopping diarrhea with medication can make things worse if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into the regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian