Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Aging female cat has increased thirst, yowls at night,

Customer Question
Aging female cat has...

Aging female cat has increased thirst, yowls at night, urinates in the litterbox but has loose stools and deposits them outside the litterbox. She appears to be stiff in her hindquarters.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Fancy is about 10 yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fancy?

She drools.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that sweet Fancy is having some problems. There are many things that can cause these symptoms but it appears that she is having multiple problems. This increased thirst could well be developing Diabetes which causes increased thirst and urination and could affect her digestive tract also. This will require blood work to rule this out. Treatment can be very helpful for Fancy's distress.

The drooling is most likely due to an issue in her mouth such as gingivitis or bad teeth or eosinophilic ulcers. This will require and complete physical exam by your vet to determine if this is the problem.

I suspect, due to Fancy's age, that this stiffness you see is arthritis and your vet will have medication to help her past this.

It is best to take Fancy to your vet for an exam and diagnostics to find the correct treatment for her. I wish I could give you more at home advise but without the testing, it is hard to know how best to help your sweet gal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian