Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He is 18 years old - my son who is his best friend has been…

Customer Question
He is 18 years...

He is 18 years old - my son who is his best friend has been gone 3 weeks - i was gone 2 days although we had a friend come feed him he was alone - when i came back yesterday I noticed he was lethargic - not meowing normal or wanting to eat - i observed all day he was drinking alot and eating but walking away from the food - not normal- should i take him in to vet- and should i switch his food to something wet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Boots

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boots?

Well i brought him up the stairs this morning to cuddle with me in bed and when he got up he peed never done that but maybe had to go and i was holding him in bed...he has not meowed like he is in pain at all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Boots. While there's rarely just one thing going on in an 18 year old, his polydipsia ("drinking a lot") and polyuria (increased volume of urine which I suspect is what prompted his peeing when he got up this morning) are worrisome signs for quite a few disorders. Chronic renal insufficiency is the most common with hepatic insufficiency, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, and diabetes mellitus and hyperthyroidism (both would also increase hunger/polyphagia) also important considerations. I wouldn't hesitate to have his vet perform a thorough physical exam including fasted diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours what Boots's behavior is indicating and how he might be helped. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian