Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She won't eat and is slowly dying of starvation. She is 17…

Customer Question
She won't eat and...

She won't eat and is slowly dying of starvation

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

She is 17 1/2 years old

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. I need to ask some questions to best help. What is her name? Has she been losing a lot of weight? Is she vomiting? When was she last seen by your vet?

Her name is***** is skin and bones. She is not vomiting. I don't remember when she was last seen.

Thank you for that information. I'm going to be honest here and say that with a cat her age that has lost this much weight, the big concerns I have are why did this happen. She didn't just "stop" eating voluntarily. Something with her body has been going on to cause her to get to this stage. The biggest concerns I have are that she could have diabetes, chronic renal issues, hyperthyroidism, or some form of cancer. With older cats with this history, these are just the things that are most commonly the cause. What would be best is to get her to your vet so they can run some blood work to screen for these. IF she's diabetic or hyperthyroid, there are definite treatment options. The chronic renal disease and cancer don't have great treatment options, but being able to know what is going on can best allow you to deal with her situation. She isn't eating because her body is that stressed. Treating the underlying issue can have a chance of helping her.