Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I noticed my cat starting acting lethargic new years eve. So…

Customer Question
I noticed my cat...

I noticed my cat starting acting lethargic new years eve. So I've kept a close eye on him since then. In almost a full day he didn't move at all. Which means he wouldn't eat, drink, or go to the bathroom. He also is gagging, but nothing comes up?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Cougar and he's 4-5

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Cougar. I am very worried by your description as well.

Anytime a cat stops eating, they are letting us know they are sick, in pain, or not feeling good. If he is not eating or drinking, he will be dehydrated, which can make his condition worse.

The gagging could be a sign of intestinal blockage, irritation/swelling in his throat, a respiratory problem. I am pretty worried; can you get him to a veterinarian today?

If you lift his lip to check his gums, are they pink or pale? You may not be able to tell if he is a black or gray cat.

Can you take his temperature? Normal rectal temp is 101.5. If he has a fever, that might explain his not eating.

Try to tempt him to take some liquids such as chicken broth or tuna juice, to help with dehydration.

Please let me know if you are able to see my responses, how he is doing, and what other questions you have.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian