Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is twenty yrs old and she cries constantly. Can you…

Customer Question
My cat is twenty...

My cat is twenty yrs old and she cries constantly. Can you tell me what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Mitsey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mitsey?

No she just started this

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Mitsey is suddenly crying constantly but she's certainly gotten your attention hasn't she?

Cats that yowl are trying to tell us something, unfortunately many problems can cause yelling so it takes some detective work to figure out exactly what the problem (or problems) is (are).

It's best to start with a thorough physical exam by her veterinarian. If her physical examination is within normal limits she may need further diagnostic tests to find the cause.

I would start with a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and T-4.

Hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid gland is usually caused by a thyroid gland tumor. It can put cats on edge as they are overstimulated and can make them hungrier as well as it causes a ramped up metabolism where they burn more calories. Both of these things can lead to yowling. This can be diagnosed with a blood test.

A sore tooth, gum infections or a mass on the tongue or tonsils can lead to pain when eating and could be the cause of her yelling. She may need sedation by her veterinarian to fully examine her teeth, tonsils and tongue and diagnose these conditions but it won't hurt for you to take a look if she will let you.

Early senility or dementia often causes cats to vocalize more. They are literally yelling because they are lost and confused and are calling for help. This is usually a diagnosis of exclusion meaning that physically everything looks and tests out normal but they are still vocalizing much more than usual.

Her sight may not be what it once was so leaving on night-lights to help her see may help. Cats normally see much better than we do, so this might be difficult for you to pick up on during the day when there is lots of light. It would be worth using plug in night lights around the house to see if that helps her see and feel more secure.

As animals age they sleep less soundly. It may help to play with her more during the day/evening so she is tired at bedtime and sleeps better. In some cases using music or "white noise" machines to block outside noise is helpful.

If her days and nights seem a bit mixed up it may help to give her a supplement called Melatonin. This is a naturally found hormone in animals and people that helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle and is involved in seasonal shedding. It can help them relax and sleep, and in cases that have abnormal shedding patterns related to seasonal light changes or abnormal growth hormone fluctuations. The usual dose in cats is 2mg to 4mg per cat every 12 to 24 hours. Make sure to give a dose 2 hours before bedtime. Make sure to read the label and DO NOT use the fast dissolve tablets of Melatonin with xylitol as xylitol is toxic for cats.

We can use calming sprays or diffusors containing Feliway (a synthetic version of a calming pheromone), a homeopathic drop added to his food or water called Rescue Remedy, or a supplement called Zylkene.

Drugs such as Anipryl (selegilene) can help with brain function. If that isn't enough then your veterinarian may prescribe a low dose calming medication like alprazolam.

In short it sounds like Mitsey needs a physical examination and minimally some blood tests taken to look for reasons for her "crying". If there isn't a physical cause then we can proceed with altering her environment and using things to reduce anxiety.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian