Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She's had vestibular disease before and gotten over it. She…

Customer Question
She's had vestibular disease...

She's had vestibular disease before and gotten over it. She is blind in one eye. Today she got going in circles and running into things and she's almost 18 years old. She's eating she's drinking. But her eyes are real Glassy and bugged out and now she's in the corner under the bed and just laying there. Does that sound like vestibular disease to you?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Momma

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Momma?

She's been kinda wobbly the past couple weeks but I mean really alert except for can't see out of that one eye just acts like she normally does but tonight when she was coming or going around to the house and get lost and running into the walls and that was so much different than her normally

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Momma. Her circling and aimless wandering indicate an encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving her forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. Circling is also seen with vestibular disorders but her altered mentation (mental status) tells me that a brain disorder is the cause of her current behavior. Regretfully, brain tumor is the most common of the brain disorders in such an elderly dog. I wish I had some magic for Momma. You have a difficult decision to make as there's no reliably effective therapy for these patients. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
As of now Momma is doing pretty good. She is blind in the left eye and almost in the right eye. I leave the lights low in the house and she's been doing pretty good finding her way around. She's upset if someone comes in of course and she can't see who it is. She feels safe under my bed you just goes up in the corner and sticks her head under the bed and her butt sticks out but she sleeps in her other beds throughout the house. She's eating good drinking good and going to the bathroom bathroom. Last night I accidentally left a light on and she went bezerk. But as soon as I turned all the lights off and she got under my bed she laid there for a few minutes and she was fine. My vet does not know what it is she gave her a steroid shot and we'll just do what we can do until something else comes up. Thank you

Thank you for the good update. Yes, I believe that hospicing Momma makes the most sense. If the steroid helps, it can be continued in pill form. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.