Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat pepper (14 years old) has stopped eating for the past…

Customer Question
My cat pepper (14...

My cat pepper (14 years old) has stopped eating for the past week or so. I’ve been force feeding him. He’s dropped 2,5 lbs since I last saw the vet. I took him in on Thursday and the vet told me that he thinks that he can bounce back. He did a blood test but I have to wait until tomorrow (probably early afternoon) to get the results. He also gave him some fluids. I’m worried because he just doesn’t seem right, although he’s come up from the basement where he was hiding. He is hyperthyroid and I found his pill from last night. He seems to be having trouble swallowing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He has a heart murmur. I’ve also tried to give him some subcutaneous fluids but I think that I’m poking the needle through the skin. Right now he’s still up here so I think that that is a good sign.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. There will be a lot of information gained by the bloodwork. Given the description and his concurrent issues, I think chronic kidney failure is the most likely cause here.

If he is in kidney failure, then he'll need more aggressive fluid therapy to help pull him through this. That would be either IV fluids for a few days or fairly aggressive sub Q fluids for a week or two.

For now, I would continue to try to get food/ water into him and wait it out until you get the results tomorrow.

If he seems like he's declining faster, then I would go to an ER vet and start IV fluids until the results come back.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you Dr, Gary.
You’re welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?