Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 15 + year old female cat that has recently had a…

Customer Question
I have a 15...

I have a 15 + year old female cat that has recently had a blood test and urinalysis within the past 3 months. She was peeing blood. Tests revealed that she had early Kidney disease but nothing majorly systemically wrong. Urinalysis revealed negative for wbcs and crystals. She was treated with sq fluids and a convenia injection (2 week long antibiotic). Her condition improved. Just today though, she vomited and has blood in her urine again. I have 2 other cats that have been both “picking” on her more lately...do you think the hematuria etc could be stress-induced?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of. She has a good appetite still, but she does look like she’s losing a little

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

More weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Audrey. No major medical hx. She was bottle fed but acts feral

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Audrey. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

There's no question that stress can play a role in triggering urinary issues in cats regardless of the underlying cause. If stress is contributing to the blood in her urine, you might consider use of Feliway which is a natural pheromone specifically designed to reduce stress and anxiety in cats. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in every cat but may be worth a try. It comes in a diffuser which is plugged into the wall or a spray or wipes but the diffuser is likely to be the better option for your home. It's available at many local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

However, given the recurrent nature of her hematuria and given her age, if she were my patient, I'd want to make sure that I wasn't missing something such as bladder stones or the worst case scenario, bladder cancer. While every vet practices differently, I'd suggest an ultrasound which is going to be the best diagnostic tool for either one of these conditions. Depending on the results, then various treatment options can be discussed.

As you may know, it doesn't take much to trigger vomiting in a cat....which may be related to her kidney issues or something else. Regardless, you could give her otc Pepcid AC (Famotidine) which may help to reduce her nausea. The dose would be 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet 1-2 times a day. I typically suggest only once a day in those patients with kidney issues, though.

I hope this helps, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb