Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has been suffering from what we thought was URI. His…

Customer Question
My cat has been...

My cat has been suffering from what we thought was URI. His first course of antibiotics seemed to bring him back to health even though it became harder and harder to pin him down for a regular dose. The next week it came back only this time with heavy labored breathing. I took him in 2 weeks ago today for an injected antibiotic. He hasn't improved so I put him back on another oral antibiotic on Friday. No improvement still. Could ear mites contribute to this infection? I didn't want to stress him out further by trying to administer ear drops also. He is 10 years old, an only cant and he has never been outside. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

JBO

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about JBO?

I don't believe so....

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Dr. Gary. Do you have any suggestions for me to help my cat breath better or next step in treatment?

It is very possible that this is another URI. These can often times be viral and have recurrent flare ups when stressed.

I actually prefer to use an anti-inflammatory like Onsior or Meloxicam to help with the signs. Sometimes that will be better than antibiotics if there is no actual bacterial infection present.

I don't think this is due to ear mites. Those cats usually have thick black discharge from the ears.

Something you can do at home to help with the nasal congestion is run a hot shower and put the cat in the bathroom for 10-15 minutes. This can help break up the congestion. You can also pick up saline nose drops and put one drop in each nostril 3-4 times daily to moisten the nasal mucosa. Other than that, you usually just have to ride out the signs and wait for it to resolve on it's own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He does have black discharge from his ears. I have drops but don't want to stress him out farther by attempting to administer drops. What do you think?

Ok, if there is black discharge then he may also have ear mites. If it's Milbemite, it's a one time dose so I would go ahead and use them. It shouldn't be too stressful.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I gret either of the anti-inflammatory medications over the counter? Actually, I have Meloxicam but it's pill for for an adult human. Is there anything I can get in that class of med that could help him?

You would need the liquid Meloxicam. It comes in 1.5 mg/mL or 0.5 mg/mL for cats. There is not a safe alternative over the counter, I'm afraid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I have to go to my local vet to get a prescription then?

Yeah, you'd have to go to the vet or talk to the vet that saw him.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ugh! I've already paid for 2 vet visits and 3 antibiotics. No offense intended AT ALL and in no way a discredit to you, your kindness nor expertise but I now have another bill yet am no closer to a solution to my cats illness. ��

Oh I know it's frustrating. These chronic URI cats can be incredibly frustrating for everybody. Some cats never fully resolve. They just chronically have signs off and on their whole life. I wish we had a better answer for them, but we don't always.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you for your time.

You're welcome.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian