Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She's a calico, three and a half years old .....all of a…

Customer Question
She's a calico...

She's a calico , three and a half years old .....all of a sudden two days ago she started vomiting ....now , she vomits a liquid that's kind of solid....but not undigested food....and I am worried BC she not drinking water or eating dry food .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No. But she's also outside occasionally ......although not recently BC of the cold .....so I am perplexed....I am sure she's only eating what I provide ....I have three other cats all fine .....so it can't the food I provide

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No she's been healthy all along .....however my husband just said , tell you she been snoring and breathing heavy.....however she's put on weight this year....she's 15 pounds now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Vomiting in cats can be from many things:
1. Stress
2. IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) from food allergy or immune mediated
3. Foreign body obstruction
4. Metabolic disease- kidneys/ liver
5. Diabetes
6. Intestinal Lymphoma
7. Gastroenteritis

I would first start with an exam and x-rays to rule out an obstruction that would require surgery. If no obstruction, then I'd treat with food withdrawal for 8-12 hours and GI antibiotics and GI protectants. If still no resolution of signs, then I'd want to do biopsies of the intestines to rule out IBD or lymphoma.

If you want to try something tonight, I'd first pull up the food and water for 8-12 hours to help prevent further vomiting. You can then give Pepcid (Famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet once daily. Once the vomiting stops for 6-8 hours try feeding a small amount of food to see if she keeps it down. If she does, then great. If still vomiting, then get her seen and get the x-rays taken.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

My baby isis vomiting for no apparent reason
Never mind. I'll take her to the vet .....

There is going to be a reason, but it can be difficult to determine. Hopefully it's just some infection that can be treated with meds and fluids. Ruling out an obstruction is important, though.