Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 14. She is not eating, but drinking, She was born…

Customer Question
My cat is 14...

My cat is 14. She is not eating, but drinking, She was born with feline herpe virus. What should I try to feed her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Cleo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cleo?

Just that she twitches. THe twitching may be from eating plastics. She has eaten plastics and things.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. Sorry to hear about Cleo. I think that ultimately she will need to have some labwork done by your veterinarian but we can try some things for today. The Herpes Virus, I wouldn't worry about. 90ish% of cats have Herpes and it doesn't usually cause much issue. What have you tried to feed her and how long has her appetite been poor?

I have tried to feed her the normal... cat fancy beef feast and Halo holistic whitefish recipe for the hard food. She hasn't eaten much of anything for the past 2 days.
She has been drinking water though. Her energy is low, but she is getting around fine.

Alright, I would try some baby food today. Cats tend to like the meat ones (the infant stage 1) You can get plain turkey, chicken, beef... They actully like it a little better if you warm it up. Good that she is drinking water. I still believe that answers will be in bloodwork. This will help you to know what is going on and to make good decisions for her. You could also do some Pepcid AC today. What does she weigh?

she only weighs 7 pounds. How do I get the pepcid ac in her?

You would have to give it to her......open her mouth and drop in. You could give her 1/2 tablet twice daily until you can get into your vet.

Thank you!

You are welcome, hope it all turns out alright. Happy New Year!