Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She has upper respiratory infection. 8ten years old.

Customer Question
She has upper respiratory...

She has upper respiratory infection. 8ten years old. Sneezing wheezing, yawning. I am keeping her warm, would steaming help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Charlotte. eleven years oldspyed. No shots in years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlotte?

I am poor. She got it from m two days ther of my cats. All indoors only.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Charlotte has caught a cat flu from the others, we do need start supportive care to ease her signs. Therefore, provided she hasn't snotty nasal discharge (a sign she needs antibiotics from the local vet), we can start supportive care. To start, we'd certainly want to steam treat her. We cannot use any essential oils or drugs but water or saline can be used if you have a humidifier or nebulizer. Otherwise, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her.

As well, if she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. As well, we can also use non-medicated saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses) to gently flush the nose. To do so, just tilt her head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Making sure she is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if you see any loss of normal of appetite, do make sure to tempt her to eat. Try smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help her be able to smell it.

Finally, as the feline herpes virus can be a common cause for the signs we are seeing, we can also consider trying her with L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at pet stores, vets, online and even health food stores. They come as gels, powders, or tablets to crush into food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Overall, her signs sound like she has an upper respiratory based infection. Therefore, you can try the above to help give her some relief. While doing so, keep a close eye on her. If it doesn't settle, develops snotty discharge, or worsens at all, then we'd want her checked by her vet so they can start her on cat safe decongestants (since human ones are toxic for kitties) and antibiotics to clear this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian