Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is having two symptoms that are worrying me. She is…

Customer Question
My cat is having two...
My cat is having two symptoms that are worrying me. She is licking her but frequently and making upset noises while she does it (hissing, whining, meowing). Also, the white part at the corner of her eye seems to be more visable, likes it might be swollen or something. Please let me know what you think, thank you. Jonathan
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has Callie had these signs?

Any struggles to pass urine or stool?

Any lumps, sores or discomfort around the rectum?

Hi Dr. B.,Thank you for responding. There doesn't appear to be any lumps on her rectum or sore spots. It doesn't seem like she's having trouble using the bathroom. The licking and hissing has slowed down. My only concern at the moment is the eye situation. Perhaps they look a little inflamed. The white parts at thebefr of the eye are taking up more space then they usually do. Any thoughts on what this might be?
Thank you for your tIme!!Best,
Jonathan (###) ###-####

Good evening Jonathan,

My apologies I could not get back to you sooner (as I am sure you can appreciate, my own patients keep me very busy during the week). Still what worries me about her signs is that we can see this hissing behaviour as a pain response in the cat. And if she does this when licking her backside (yet has no diarrhea or constipation), my main concerns would be a bladder infection, urine crystals/stones, or possible anal gland issues (inflammation, blockage, etc). Though with her 3rd eyelids raised as well, and infection is a primary concern. This is because those lids aren't inflamed, just raised which is a non-specific sign we see when cats are unwell. So, that usually will settle if we address the root cause for the signs. Therefore, if Callie were my patient, I'd want her vet to check her, make sure her glands aren't impacted, and consider checking for those urinary concerns. Depending on their findings, she can be started on kitty safe pain relief like Metacam (as our pain relief treatments are toxic for cats) +/- antibiotics to counter these concerns and get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr.B.

Hi Jonathan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Callie. How is everything going?

Dr. B.