Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Coughing and drooling. Bigsby is 14ish. He was a rescue. Had…

Customer Question
Coughing and drooling Veterinarian's...

Coughing and drooling

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?

Bigsby is 14ish. He was a rescue. Had a rough life. I took him to the vet and got antibiotics last month and he seemed better but now it has come back

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bigsby?

14 about

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bigsby?

Bad teeth

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Infection with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) and feline asthma are the two main reasons cats cough. Drooling, however, can indicate gastrointestinal distress in the form of cramping, nausea, or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD, acid reflux, heartburn) as well as esophageal or oral/dental pain, and ulceration. There's a good chance that at Bigsby's advanced age more than one thing is going on. FHV-1 infection and teeth root abscesses or resorptive lesions (similar to cavities but not the same disease process) are likely. Bigsby's vet will want to recheck Bigsby. Please note that FHV-1 doesn't respond to antibiotics but antibiotics will have a palliative effect on teeth root abscesses. The infection in the teeth, however, can't be resolved without extracting them. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.