Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Our male guinea pig is allowed to walk around our kitchen…

Customer Question
Our young male guinea pig...
Our young male guinea pig is allowed to walk around our kitchen for several hours each day. He is normally very active and bold. He began to be lethargic yesterday and didn’t eat much. We rushed him to an ER vet who didn’t seem to know much about Guinea Pigs (our normal vet had left for a week’s vacation). He had a bit of nasal discharge, so they diagnosed URI even though the X-ray showed clear lungs. He hasn’t responded to Baytril. He seems sicker than I would expect for a URI that hadn’t spread to his lungs (I foster Guinea Pigs for a rescue and have experience with URIs). Also, his condition declined more quickly than I’ve seen with a URi. I realized after I got home from the ER that he may have eaten some styrofoam we used as insulation. He is still defecating, but the droppings are smaller. The vets are all closed except the ER vet which has a 4 hour wait and is an hour drive. Should I be worried about the styrofoam, or just assume it’s a URI and give the Baytril more time to work? I don’t want to stress the guinea pig for nothing. Also, if it is the styrofoam, I’d there anything I can do while I’m waiting to get him to a vet?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr G, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr G
Dr G, Cat Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G. I see a lot of small mammals and guinea pigs and I will try to help you with your piggie.
Give me a minute to sort through the info and write a response.
My biggest concern right now is that he is not eating. It doesn’t matter whether he has an URI, he still has to eat. As you probably know, it’s the GI stasis that kills a lot of these guys. They need syringe feeding and GI meds. Also, Baytril. Can really stop a GP’s appetite.
He still may need treatment for an URI, but he may also need fluids, GI meds, feeding etc to get better.The styrofoam may be a big worry...did they get his tummy on the X-ray?
Ithe fact that he is still,passing some stool is good.
Is your ER vet good with exotics? Fluids, pain meds and GI meds are probably necessary.
But if it’s is along wait right now, you can try to give him Simethicone (gas drops) at 0.25 ml every 4 hours and either syringe a bit of Critical Care, or make some with soaked pellets blended with plain Pedialyte and some canned pumpkin or a tiny bit of applesauce .
But, I do think you will not get resolution without a good exotic vet doing an exam.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr G
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Cat Veterinarian