Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 2 years old cat is acting very unusual, he started

Customer Question
My 2 years old...

My 2 years old cat is acting very unusual, he started vomiting yesterday around noon and has Never even once had a hair ball come out. is a very healthy cat, not over or under weight, and has always been very well taken care of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not that we are aware of. He is very picky about what he eats, won't eat wet food, won't eat tuna. He used to get into my fresh veggies and chew on them but it's been over a year since he's done that. He usually sticks to his dry cat food. He hasn't eaten since he started vomiting..

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Toothless, my husband got him for me as a gift and I let him name him. He's the sweetest cat ever, fits the dragon perfectly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Well, I'm also looking over his figure a little, his fur isn't as nicely kept like he usually keeps it, and his nose could be a little less dry but his nose is still a healthy wet and cold.. I'm just worried he has something seriously wrong..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

I'm sorry to hear that Toothless isn't feeling well. Persistent vomiting, in a young cat, is very suspicious for a possible obstruction of the digestive tract, such as from swallowing something other than food -- such as string, parts of toys, dental floss, etc.

It could of course be something less serious than this, such as Gastritis, which is just irritation of the stomach, maybe caused by eating something irritating but not actually something that would cause a blockage.

It is important, in these types of vomiting cases, to have a physical exam performed by a veterinarian, so that the abdomen can be palpated, and perhaps an x-ray taken, to check for signs of blockage, which often requires surgery. If no abnormalities are found, then typically the treatment would be some injections to settle the stomach / stop the vomiting, and if dehydrated, some fluids may be recommended via sub-cutaneous or intra-venous route.

Do you think I should take him in immediately? All my clinics close to me are closed until the second of January..?

If he is continuing to vomit over and over again, then yes, he needs to be seen by an emergency veterinarian.

If he stopped vomiting but is refusing food and water for more than 24 hours, that too is a reason to be seen on an emergency basis.

If there's a blockage, waiting until Tuesday may be a dangerous choice, as time is of the essence when treating an intestinal blockage.

If there's no blockage, then waiting is less risky - but if there's dehydration and electrolyte imbalances due to not eating and drinking, that too can present a risky situation if you have to wait until Tuesday.

Okay! Thank you so much for your help!

You are most welcome - I wish you both all the best!

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian