Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Our cat got very ill over Christmas no vomit or bowl issues…

Customer Question
Hi! Our cat got...

Hi! Our cat got very ill over Christmas no vomit or bowl issues just high fever and stopped eating. Vet tested for lukemia, was neg. Gave antibiotics and she perked back up in 12 hrs. But now 5 days later she's not eating & vomiting a lot. She's drinking plenty of fluids.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Maddie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maddie?

She's only 6 mo. She refused to play with her brother when normally she initiates play.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of Maddie's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. If a leukemia test were the only test performed, a test for feline immunodeficiency virus and a basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests should be considered. Regretfully, anorexia and vomiting while important symptoms aren't pathognomonic of any one particular disorder. Finally, if those additional tests aren't informative as the cause of Maddie's signs, the next diagnostic of choice is an abdominal ultrasound to have a good look at her gastrointestinal tract. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi!
Sorry I viewed your answer in the email notification. She is much better now and the vomiting has stopped. She's still not as playful as she used to be. Our vet only performed the Lukemia test and nothing else. I also do not have copies of the test just the results.

I understand. I'm pleased that she has improved. If you don't see complete remission, please consider having a more complete diagnostic work-up performed as I mentioned above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We may do that for both since they are inside cats and both got very sick in the same week

Ah! Something infectious or something they both ingested or were treated with, perhaps...

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian