Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has diarrhea after he eats and throws up doesn’t use…

Customer Question
My cat has diarrhea...

My cat has diarrhea after he eats and throws up doesn’t use his litter box lost weight what can I do he’s around 10 year old

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. How long has he been having diarrhea and vomiting after eating?

Weight loss is always concerning in a cat, especially an older cat.

This could be from inflammatory bowel disease, IBD, and he may respond to prednisolone. He may be hyperthyroid, and need to be treated with a medication called methimazole.

Sadly, cancer is also a concern in a cat that is vomiting, having diarrhea, and is losing weight.

The best place to start is a physical exam by your veterinarian, and discussing doing blood tests, or trying the prednisolone.

How is your cat doing? I hope you were able to see my responses.

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.