Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is 10 yrs old and his back left paw is shaking. He…

Customer Question
My cat is 10...

My cat is 10 yrs old and his back left paw is shaking. He walks fine and jumps fine. When his trying to go to sleep is leg shakes. When I looked at him I noticed the leg shaking in my hand.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

Reeses

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reeses?

He's in the very early stage of renal failure

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Reeses. How long has he has this shaking?

Is he being treated for his renal failure? Do you know what his kidney numbers and urinalysis results are?

Was his blood pressure checked? Cats with renal disease can have high blood pressure, which can cause things like tremors.

One leg shaking can be due to pain, or arthritis. If an exam of his leg shows any thickening in a joint, or pain in his spinal cord, that might be the reason. There is a good arthritis drug for cats called Onsior that is safe for cats with renal disease. It is by prescription, from your veterinarian.

Please let me know what other questions you have, and if this is helpful. Happy New Year!

I have not heard back from you. How is Reeses doing?

Was my answer helpful; can I answer anything else?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian