Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She threw up a couple of hours ago but is now having shaking…

Customer Question
She threw up a...

She threw up a couple of hours ago but is now having shaking episodes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No. She is on an antibiotic but has been for over a week but I feed her before I give it to her

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Boo and we think around 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Boo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She’s not acting stressed or upset even when she shakes. She ate, drank, and went to the litter box right after getting sick

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is she now?

What did her vomit look like?

Which antibiotic is it specifically?

Has she had access to anything else?

She is still eating and drinking and seems to be ok. The shaking seemed to be just her back leg area, not the whole body. She is on clavomox. She threw up multiple times- it was her food then some liquid. But it was just the one episode of vomiting. She is not shaking now.

Hello again,

Now I would note that Clavamox is notorious for causing GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea) in kitties and the effects of it can make them feel unwell which can manifest as shaking. Usually if they've had it a few days, they won't be as susceptible but we can still see episodes as you saw with Boo. Therefore, as she is settling, I'd suggest a 24 hour break from the antibiotic and monitoring. If she settles completely, we can pre-treat with an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), wait 20 minutes and then give food before giving a half dose of Clavamox. If she remains settled, we can do the same at the next dose and give a full one. Then we may just want to keep her on the antacid with this antibiotic course to just ensure no further relapses.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.