Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat got a dose of lantus for diabetes at 7pm and my husband…

Customer Question
Cat got a dose...

Cat got a dose of lantus for diabetes at 7pm and my husband forgot and gave another at 10pm. He gets 3 units at 7am and 7 pm. What should be done. We have no emergency vets where we are. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the Cat's name and age?

His name is Ben. We adopted so not sure of age. Estimated around ten years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ben?

Dont think so. He has been doing well with his diabetes treatment

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 6 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Clearly, the effect of the extra insulin will be to reduce Ben's blood sugar levels and there will, therefore, some degree of chance of a hypoglycaemic { low blood sugar } crisis which can be a serious situation.

2. Given there are no emergency vets in your area there are things you can try. The best thing to do is to give your cat a substantial meal now, cat biscuits if possible which will be rich in carbohydrate, then repeat this in three hours time and again three hours after that. The aim is to maintain your cat's blood sugar levels while the extra insulin works its way out of your cat's system. This can be very effective, carbohydrate tends to lead to a more sustained blood sugar rise, but basically, feed whatever the cat will eat if it will not eat at biscuits.

3. Also monitor your cat for any adverse symptoms related to a low blood sugar crisis, this could include marked lethargy and incoordination, but if you can give your cat something sweet and sugary at that point then that could possibly avert any disaster, the likes of honey would be good, but sugar diluted in water would work as well.

4. If all goes well then just give the next regular dose at the next regular time.

I have to say that some cases like this would perhaps need attention from an ER vet if things go badly wrong, but in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Ben's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Just checking back in to see how things are going?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ben is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the insulin double dose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?