Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I gave a 10 yr old cat for the past couole weeks he hasn't…

Customer Question
I gave a 10...

I gave a 10 yr old cat for the past couole weeks he hasn't been eating much, 5 days ago he stopped eating al together, he hasn't had a bowel movement now for there days. He was drinking a lot of water but the last day or so that's slowed down,he would drink so much water he would throw it all up.now for the past two days I have mixing soft food with water and giving it to him in a sirenge but now today he threw it all up again. He got so much weight gone and refuses to eat he will just walk away from his food. He's getting very weak, so can you give me some answers on what might be going on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Not that I can think of right now, I just like to know what I can do for him

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your fellow is vomiting, losing weight and eating poorly for the past few weeks.

he likely isn't passing stools because he isn't eating. If he isn't taking anything in he cannot produce stools.

Poor appetite and vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, internal organ failure, ketoacidotic diabetes, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because he is losing weight that indicates a significant, chronic disease and an examination and some testing is needed as soon as possible.

Cats tend to have a higher incidence of kidney failure as they age. That can lead to nausea, vomiting, and gastrointestinal ulcers, a loss of appetite and weight loss along with increased drinking.

Ketoacidotic diabetes can also lead to the symptoms you are seeing.

So we definitely want to look for kidney failure, but given that he has been sick long enough to lose weight we do want to make sure there isn't more than one thing happening. Cats that don't eat well for a period of time can get into trouble with hepatic lipidosis. This is fatty liver disease caused by overwhelming the liver with fats being broken down for energy to live when they don't eat such that it cannot perform normal functions. This is a secondary disease, but it can be deadly and needs to be aggressively managed.

I would recommend a complete blood count and biochemistry profile with a T-4 (thyroid hormone level) as well as a urinalysis to start.

If those look fine then I recommend a specific blood test for pancreatitis, a fel spec PL (feline specific pancreatic lipase).

If those tests are done and come back normal the next step is an abdominal ultrasound and/or either exploratory surgery or endoscopy to gather biopsies of his gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or cancer.

In the meantime you can try giving him an acid reducer to see if that helps. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotodine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pound cat every 12 to 24 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pound cat every 24 hours.

These are very safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You might also try offering a homemade bland diet to see if that helps. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 2/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer, more palatable and easier to eat and swallow.

But he really needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible for an exam and testing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian