Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My kitty cat doesn't meow as much and she opens her mouth to…

Customer Question
My kitty cat...

My kitty cat doesn't meow as much and she opens her mouth to meow but nothing happens

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your kitten?

She meows sometimes and sometimes not but acts like she wants to meow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your kitten seem to hurt?

She doesn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No nothing i came back from travel--I was gone for about 15 days i had a cat sitter

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Piper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Piper?

She's always had bad breath. she has a nasal drip that collects but the vet says its from herpes from being born outside. she just had a full checkup to include bloodwork about 3 weeks ago. all good. they also said she is due in sept 2018 for her teeth to be cleened

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot 100% diagnose this for you over the internet I can tell you that I have had many consultations over the course of my career concerning cats which had lost their voices. Only a tiny percentage of them turned out to be anything sinister, the majority I put down to some kind of throat infection although very often no other symptoms were not present other than the loss of voice.

2. Provided Piper is otherwise bright alert and eating then I would wait a week or so and see how it goes, in my experience in most cases the voice will return without any treatment. The ones that were presented to me at my clinic were usually treated with antibiotics and again most them eventually responded. You should consult your vet again anyway if things do not respond or if any more symptoms appear or if Piper deteriorates in any way.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Piper is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her lost meow ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott