Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 4 year old female has not eaten since Wednesday and today…

Customer Question
My 4 year old...

My 4 year old female has not eaten since Wednesday and today she is refusing to drink water the vet checked and she is not running a fever and everything feels normal. could she have a toothache?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Tiger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiger?

No but she is very lethargic. Probrably cause she not eating

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Have you noticed any other symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, coughing or sneezing? Any drooling or sensitivity in the mouth area that you've noticed?

No. She started vomiting wed. But since shebhasnt eaten nothing since.

I'm sorry to hear that. There are a lot of possible causes for this, a toothache is definitely one of them, although her teeth would have to be nearly falling out for this to be the primary cause to be totally honest with you. they usually find a way to eat with a toothache. I would recommend taking her to the vet for bloodwork and xray as soon as you can because the longer she goes without eating, the harder it will be for her to recover. If you are unable to do so with the holiday weekend upon us, i can make some recommendations to try to help.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with GI upset. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset, plus most cats love it. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. You can offer tuna juice and low sodium chicken broth as well to help, usually cats will want to drink these over water when they're not feeling well.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian