Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a feral cat,has been neutered and realeased, that…

Customer Question
I have a feral...

I have a feral cat,has been neutered and realeased, that I’ve been taking care of. Face is swollen on one side. Looks to be an abcess. Is there any over counter treatment to help? I’ve called 8 places to see if I could get help. So I’m on my own. I can’t touch her at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

I call her ghosty. She has a sibling that she’s always with

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ghosty?

She’s very skittish.i had some leftover antibiotics from my indoor kitties. So I gave her a dose today. But I won’t have enough for a full course

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 7 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I completely agree with you that an abscess is the most likely culprit for this sudden facial swelling. I'm so sorry that you could not find assistance locally. The way to treat these is 1)drainage and 2)antibiotics (injection or oral). I cannot prescribe anything for you nor can any of us online because we have to examine her prior to doing so. :(

That being said, it will rupture eventually. Sometimes it takes a few days but then it will explode. She will clean it up and then it will start to heal, but often the infection is great and an antibiotic is needed to clear it up. If you have left over antibiotics for a cat then by all means give it a go; however some of the liquid medications expire after they were mixed (14 days).

Since you cannot touch her there is really not much at all you can do for her other than keep offering food/water. There is no safe over-the-counter pain relief product in cats. There is no over-the-counter antibiotic you can use nor get at a feed store that is safe for cats. They are such a sensitive species to drugs that we must be careful. If it started to drain and she would let you touch her then you could clean it with hydrogen peroxide and apply a topical antibiotic ointment (although she will lick it off). However, I must warn you even the nicest cat in the world (not feral) will often become quite mean when there is an abscess. They hurt like crazy. So, please go with caution if she is already skittish and not liking to be touched.

If it is not resolved/resolving by the end of the weekend, you may have to get her into a carrier and have her seen by your veterinarian.