Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I’m 99.9% positive that my cat ate one caplet of sudafed…

Customer Question
I’m 99.9% positive that my...
I’m 99.9% positive that my cat ate one caplet of sudafed about 10 minutes ago. She hasn’t been acting unusual but I’m scared she had too much. She is approximately 5 pounds.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

You are right to be concerned about your kitty.

While pseudoephdrine can be used in cats to treat respiratory problems it is rarely used because cats are very sensitive to the drug. When it is given it is dosed at 0.5mgs per pound of body weight, or 2.5mgs for a 5 pound cat.

What size (milligrams) was the pill she ingested?

Did you receive my photo?

This Sudafed contains 5mgs of phenylephrine, which is NOT used orally in cats.

It can cause an increase in heart rate, blood pressure and heart activity. It also dilates the bronchial tree and contracts certain smooth muscles.

Ideally your kitty would be seen at an emergency clinic to induce vomiting, give activated charcoal to absorb any left behind medication and be kept for observation to treat any possible side effects.

The other concern is that this contains acetaminophen, which is very toxic for cats. As little as 10mg per kilogram of body weight is toxic in cats. 1kg =2.2 lbs, so a 5 pound cat is only 2.27kgs (5lbs/2.2lbs per kg = 2.27kgs). That means 27mgs is toxic for her.

She needs to be seen on an emergency basis NOW!!

She ingested 143mgs per kilogram, which could be deadly for her.

I don't mean to scare you, she may seem fine now as the toxin can take hours to days to show signs, but we need to get a handle on this before she absorbs it and treat her before it becomes deadly.

The main toxic effects from acetaminophen take two forms:

1) Liver damage the substances produced by the breakdown of acetaminophen binds to liver cells, damaging them which can cause liver failure.

2) Red blood cell damage. When acetaminophen breaks down it can bind to red blood cells, changing hemoglobin (the protein in red blood cells that enables them to carry oxygen) into a molecule that is no longer able to carry oxygen. This inhibits the red cell from carrying adequate amounts of oxygen to the body’s vital organs. The altered hemoglobin molecule is called methemoglobin. Methemoglobin's lack of oxygen carrying ability changes the color of blood from red to brown.

Cats are more likely to suffer hemoglobin damage and dogs are more likely to suffer liver damage.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian