Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a snake with an upper respiratory infection and I’m…

Customer Question
I have a snake...

I have a snake with an upper respiratory infection and I’m wondering if we can give her penicillin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the snake can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the snake's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is a bumblebee ball python who weighs 1642g

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bee?

She is roughly 3 years old we think

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

While you can use penicillin, for the most part you will be wasting your time & possibly causing significant muscle injury to Bee from the repeated injections of the penicillin. You see, most respiratory infections in snakes are comprised of very tough & nasty gram negative organisms. Most reptile veterinarians immediately go to the antibiotic ceftazadine, giving 20 mg/kg injections every 72 hours for at least a month. That's 9 injections. In addition, we often add another antibiotic like an aminoglycoside ( amikacin ) or a quinolone like enrofloxacin. Because of the snakes slow metabolism, treatment must be maintained for a minimum of the 30 days.

Until you can see a veterinarian, make sure Bee's enclosure is exceptionally clean, soak her & mist her to prevent dehydration, & make sure all her environmental conditions are as close to perfect as possible.

I hope is makes sense & you fin the information helpful. Pleas let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.