Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Has running eyes and nose is packed with a pink jell like…

Customer Question
Has running eyes and...

Has running eyes and nose is packed with a pink jell like puss

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Nunu and he is 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nunu?

Nope, pretty much healthy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Nunu. Is this a recent development or has it been a problem for quite some time?

recent development

Thank you. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing and conjunctivitis you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Nunu continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of his sneezing, he doesn't need to be attended to by his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

thank you, ***** ***** keep a close eye and try the terramycin.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?