Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 17-year-old cat who has always been very mellow. I…

Customer Question
I have a 17-year-old...

I have a 17-year-old cat who has always been very mellow. I lost my other cat about 4 years ago and Sammy has been the only baby. Unfortunately I also lost my husband about a month ago so I don't want to lose Sammy. Anyway, for a few days he has started to eat plants and vomiting - some mucusy-like fluid. The last day and a half he has started to vomit what looks like partially digested food. He didn't eat much yesterday at all and today he just wants to stay on my bed and not move. Is this a very bad sign?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Sorry, the power went out for a bit. Sammy has been eating Science Diet thyroid for quite a while and doing well on that. Today he is very quiet, unlike himself and not eating or drinking anything. We do have an appointment with his vet at 2:30 but what do you think?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today - to make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

I'm so sorry to hear Sammy isn't feeling well, and for the recent loss of your husband :(

I think that would be best to keep his appointment today, it may just be general irritation related to chewing on the plants, but at his age and having the thyroid issue, there could be something else changing or a new issue that needs to be addressed. At the very least, if his belly is not overtly painful, they probably can do some anti-nausea medication for the weekend to see if that is all he needs for a few days. They may recommend rechecking a few basic blood things just to make sure there isn't a bigger problem brewing for an infection, kidney changes, pancreas issues or something else going on.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian