Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat won't eat drink or move around he's threw up but

Customer Question
My cat won't eat...

My cat won't eat drink or move around he's threw up but won't go to the bathroom and he's got large buldge under his neck and on all 4 legs he can hardly move around I can't afford vet care I've tried to make him eat and drink but not much success what's wrong with my poor baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

He's been trying to eat toilet paper for the last several months and even eating his own hair and bits of cat litter

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daniel?

I don't know I just don't want him to die cause he won't eat drink or go potty

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Daniel has vomited and is not eating or moving well. I am sorry to hear about these problems. Can you please tell me about how old is Daniel?

He was born in 2006
I can't afford that right now I just need to see if there's anything I can do to help prevent him from dying yet

No problem. He is about 11 years old, which means he could have a few different possible causes of intestinal disease, kidney problems, or pancreas inflammation. Over-the-counter treatment to help decrease nausea can consist of Pepcid. The dose for a 10 lb cat would be 2.5 mg (i.e. 1/4 tablet) every 12 hours. You may also want to give a calorie supplement such as Nutrical, which is available at most pet stores. This will help keep nutrition while you are working to decrease nausea with the Pepcid.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

If we can't get him to open his mouth any suggestion we can't pick him up it makes him convulse and can't breathe and what not

Sometimes grinding the tablet and mixing with a liquid will make it easier to give with a syringe. Otherwise, see if he has a natural interest in the Nutrical supplement. Cats tend to like it because it is sweet.

If I can't get him anything til the 26th is there anything med wise that I have that can help him

I may not understand the question. Are you referring to February 26th? There are some over-the-counter medications like Pepcid or Zantac that you can give, but that is about all of the medication options that are safe and available. Nutrical is the calorie supplement.

I won't have money til the 26th I only have pepto and fiber supplements here
I got him eating some wet food he just wouldn't touch it from the fridge

Unfortunately, Pepto is not safe for cats because it contains an ingredient similar to aspirin. There are limited over-the-counter options for cats because of the way medications are metabolized. A fiber supplement such as psyllium will be safe, but it will not help to reduce nausea. Pepcid and Zantac are the best options. You will also want to try various canned food options to keep his interest. In this situation, foods like Friskies or Whiskas may be of interest to him.

He ate a few bites and started screaming

It sounds like he is feeling pain. You will want to focus just on giving Pepcid or Zantac for right now. This will help to decrease nausea and pain and then slowly introduce food after 12-24 hours.

A friend is telling me I should just let him die my wanting to help him isn't right

The problem is he will not likely die naturally for a long time. It will be drawn out at this rate and he will not be feeling comfortable. His underlying condition may be a simple intestinal cramping and not anything that requires euthanasia. It is not comfortable, but it can be cured in certain cases.

can he be constipated he's went number one and had one bowel movement a few days ago but no more bowel movements since then
But would that explain the big buldged on his neck and legs that's the part I don't understand

He likely is not having a bowel movement because he is not eating normally. He should be making multiple trips to the litter box if he is feeling constipated. A bulge on the neck and legs would require an examination to figure out the cause. I would want to look for enlarged lymph nodes. Are you able to send a picture so I can see where on the body this is located? You can attach a picture by clicking on the paperclip icon on the toolbar.

The buldges are soft they aren't hard so I don't know if they can. Be tumors or if its something that has to do with why he's not going potty or anything just laying around he can move a little bit but not much I have to carry him but I assume it hurts bad cause he starts crying loud but I rub his back and it helps settle him down
He's also drooling and seems his nose is runny some

The bulge in this picture looks like it is under the left arm pit. I am not able to see a bulge on the neck exactly. If it is solitary and able to be felt as a separate structure from the rest of the body then the bulge could be a tumor. If it appears to be a generalized swelling then I would be concerned about edema. If this same bulge is located under the jaw then I would be more concerned about an enlarged lymph node. I am not able to see it from this picture.

It more or less feels like his body is dropping down you know how old people get flabby as they get older and there skin starts sagging that's what it feels like
His companion is older she's got a saggy stomach from being fixed and has a slight sag under her chin area but nothing like Daniels

I can appreciate that. If this occurred suddenly then the primary concern would be edema. Is it possible this is an abscess? Does he go outside or possibly got into a fight with another cat? Are these areas painful to the touch?

It started approximately3 days ago but I was able to get him to at least eat drink water and pre but as of today its been hardly anything

Are these swellings painful?

He doesn't go outside and yeah he used to play with his kids and wife cat but he doesn't scream when u touch the puffed areas only when u pick him up
I get abscesses all over me everyday but I never thought it could be passed down to my cat/s if that's what's going on
I was told I only had to pay a 5 dollar refundable fee too get advice but you guys took well over 30 I needed that for my rent and I need it back by Monday

I will opt out and let customer service help you regarding the charges.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian