Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat is a year old and we just got her about a month ago.

Customer Question
Our cat is a...

Our cat is a year old and we just got her about a month ago. She is in pain and moans all of the time. She stretches her back legs backward and lays down. seem that is the only thing she can do to get some relief from the pain. What should I di with her? is there a pain relief med ai could get? Thanks frank

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Abby

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had these signs?

Does she tend to appear hunched, putting her bottom in the air?

Can she sleep, eat, or drink at all?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Is she spayed?

She is spayed. started yesterday.She does hunch her bottom in the air seeminging to get relief. She eats well and sleeps pretty good and drinks ok too. Gums seem normal. when I press on her stomach she shows no response

Hello again,

Now I am quite concerned about Abby.

Her signs are a bit odd as cats in pain usually are quiet, withdrawn, lethargic and often are off food. This is because they are a prey species and it doesn't pay to let predators know when you are unwell. (And this is why I asked if she was spayed since moaning, stretching, and putting their bums into the air are signs we more often see in unspayed young cats that are in heat.) But if we are absolutely sure she has been spayed and that the vet removed all of the ovarian material (as any left would still trigger heat signs), then we'd have to consider that her stretching out is telling us she has abdominal discomfort even if she didn't react to pressure. And that would mean that we'd have to consider a possible gastritis, pancreatitis, stomach ulcer (less likely), or that she ate something harmful. And I have to say that with her being a cat, there are no safe OTC pain relief options we can use here. This is not just because of our GI concerns (which can be worsened with anti-inflammatories) but because cats have a different metabolism to us. So, the only safe options we have would be if you had prescription Tramadol on hand. That can be used in cats with pain. Otherwise, we'd need to think about having her seen by the local vet to check for these above worries and so that we can get a kitty safe pain relief option for her to ease her signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.